born again by Design: Was it really the EVERYTHING museum?!

Wednesday 27 October 2010

Was it really the EVERYTHING museum?!

Out & About with Paul on Friday 22nd Oct, walking through the simply sweet Chalk Farm, walked passed a fruit and veg stall that had giant artichokes YUM!! 

We arrived at The Museum of Everything ready with our cameras to click happily away, to be told 'absolutely no photography allowed' :( anyhow this become a whole new challenge to document our visit with the use of paper and pen! INTERESTING...


"The Museum of Everything is a private world, as is the studio of Sir Blake the legendary British artist."
I walked through the 'hall of fame' of little people, and one in particular: Tom Thumb and with a display of his tiny boots! I crossed one of the best 'pick-up lines' I have heard yet: "Accept this kiss, my dear, 'tis sweet: I'll give a sweeter when we meet..."
I walked passed more little people and then stepped into a room with something quite difficult to see but it caught my eye anyway, this was a collage of shiny papers, what looked like sweet paper wrappers behind a velvety black cover with illustrations cut out from the black fabric to reveal the shiny papers behind. Feminine and soft, and I liked it. 

Another display that caught my eye, and a quick trip down memory lane, were Christmas cards and other celebration cards very delicately decorated with fine use of different materials and one material used I recognised were the 'back in the day' intricate and fancy paper coasters! Remember them??! Now long ago when I last saw one used I still remember thinking to myself: what ugly little things (not appreciating the time spent on them if they were done by hand - but obviously not) but seeing them in another use was an astonishing new appreciation from my part. 


The final stop was a child-like experience, we walked into this rectangular room of mini versions of fun-fair rides just below eye-level! There were so many to gaze at and reminiscent over when a soft voice came from around the corner saying: "just in time" and with the flick of a switch the fair-rides started and I felt like I was a little girl again in a dream of fun-fair lights and sounds! 

No comments:

Post a Comment