born again by Design: LET TERPRESS

Monday 8 November 2010

LET TERPRESS

I admit, I enjoyed this workshop and I actually prefer it to screen printing, although it's just as time consuming, but don't get me wrong I'm not one to move quickly through things, oh definitely not I prefer to take my time and to appreciate what I have and use it well -  I found myself more intrigued inside this workshop more so than in the printing area, just one floor up. 
Alex is a good tutor and explains well, he's easy to talk to and he seems to have a lot of patience! 
Being in this workshop back in the mid-15th century made me realise how things have obviously changed SO much over the many years passed and how now the process of printing just one page of a few headlines is I suppose quicker than us saying: "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious". Incredible isn't it? If we had to go back in time, to this time, some would become so frustrated with the process but then it's all they knew, and they used what they had and made a good job of it!


In our group: Iza (http://www.ole-iza.blogspot.com), 
Sylwia (http://sylwiasimpossibleisnothing.blogspot.com), 
                      Bart (http://www.fishandchipsonfriday.blogspot.com
and myself we had the typeface Fry's Ornamented - and with this we had to design a page for a newspaper. After debates and votes, and missed days and a final ambicle decision we arrived with this: 'MR JENNER SAVES THE WORLD - BYE BYE SMALLPOX'
And so this was our process:
first you set it...
then we line it
then we proof it
then we roll it
then we say: "oooh aaahh"
and then we lay it!


   I took a wonder around the workshop and walked past this: 
don't you think these itsy bitsy letters are just adorable sitting in their little red box - they staring up at us just screaming to be lined up and rolled out on a piece of newsprint just so that millions of us can gaze at their mark formation of what we call words!

No comments:

Post a Comment