born again by Design: Looking at ASICS differently

Thursday 17 March 2011

Looking at ASICS differently

I've never really looked at the brand Asics twice, mainly because I've never understood their logo nor have I liked the style, their design on the sports 
shoes always seemed too high-tech for me - footwear for architects I say! 
I've never bought any of their apparel or footwear - I've always been a Nike 
girl and maybe always will be! But today I'm here to talk about Asics and 
what little discovery I've made over the last few days. 

Firstly at gym last week I picked up the Sports magazine and paged past an advert about Asics but paged back and actually took the time to look at this 
ad, PAGE 53. The reason I paged back is because I like the look of the the 
words evaporating from his body, then as I related with what it was saying: "Running not only releases sweat" then I read the description of the name: "ASICS comes from the Latin phrase Anima Sana In Corpore Sano, meaning 
"a sound mind in a sound body", now some of you or most of you may have known this but because this was not a brand I favored I never took note, 
but with that little bit of information I now know why it's called ASICS 
and that it's actually the shortened form of this significant meaning.


Coincidentally in the magazine Computer 
Arts on page 12, a "New York-based 
art director Emeric Trahand - 
aka Takeshi - has created three stunning 
posters promoting the Limber Up Moscow 
sports shoes, from Onitsuka Tiger range 
of Asics.""His aim was to pay tribute to 
women's sporting achievements in 1980, 
reflecting this with a Japanese flavour 
for the Onitsuka Tiger shoe brand." 



Takeshi's design is beautiful, elegant and a streamlined paradise of a Ikebana 
flower arrangement which is "a symbol of feminie energy and achievement.
"The arrangement has been followed to perfection of the description of the Ikebana, with nature and humanity (the shoe I assume) being brought together 
in a scalene triangle and using the flowing direction of the leaves with the design on the shoe. This silent spiritual art brings a time of devoted ardor to the beauty of nature which sets off a tranquil energy to your mind, body and soul!
This just brings us back to their motto, "a sound mind in a sound body".

















My sympathies and thoughts go out to the people of Japan during this painful time of tragedy, such an unimaginable experience to go through.

No comments:

Post a Comment